Russian Mission first reported on the 1880 U. S. Census as Ikogmute Mission, an unincorporated Inuit village & Russian Orthodox Mission. It appeared on the 1890 census as "Ikogmiut", but included the nearby village of "Pokrovskaia" (called Pogoreshapka on the 1880 U. S. Census). In 1900, it was returned again as Ikogmute Mission. In 1920, it would be officially returned as Russian Mission. It would formally incorporate in 1970.